Life Coaching is the art and practice of guiding a person from where he is towards the greater competence and fulfillment that he desires.
Life Coaching involves synergy, structure, and expertise. Synergy suggests that the client and coach become a team, focusing on the client’s goals and needs to accomplish more than the client would alone. Structure implies that with a coach, a client takes more action, thinks bigger, and gets the job done, thanks to the accountability the coach provides. Expertise means the coach knows how to help entrepreneurs make more money, make better decisions, set the best goals, and restructure their personal and professional lives for maximum productivity. (Coach U, Inc.)
The Coach and Client work on the following: (Coach U, Inc.)
- Business planning, budgeting, and goal setting
- Integrating personal life and business life for balance
- Turning around a difficult situation
- Achieving maximum work performance
- Handling business and personal problems
- Making key decisions and designing strategies
- Prioritizing actions and projects
- Catching up and getting ahead of the business
- Increasing sales substantially
Distinctions between counseling and coaching: Counseling focuses on helping people deal with past issues and works with the medical model of therapy which assumes people are unhealthy and need to come to wholeness before they can move on. Coaching focuses on the health model and assumes the client is basically healthy and emphasizes moving towards change and growth and results (potential).